THE TREE NEXT LANE


                
  She walked past me everyday, never dropping a glance
She walked past me everyday, her dress brushing by a lucky chance.

 I stood there rooted to the spot, desperate yet unable to reach out,
I stood there rooted to the spot, confined in my floral where about.

She was happy with her relations, oblivious of my love
I was envious of them, trapped in my wooden shaft.

I turned green as I saw her friends making her happy and high
She didn’t notice the difference ( I wonder why?)

Days went by and she grew wizened and bent
Days went by and I grew wise and gained strength.

Her relations left her-some for death others for malice
Her relations left me to bear my lonely chalice.

She was walking past me that day, never dropping a glance
She was walking past me like everyday, when the clouds covered the sun.

It rained like never before, it drenched her to the skin
She ran to me for shelter as a person to his kin.
As two wide eyes looked up they saw a green canopy of leaves keeping out the rain,
And they understood though nothing I could say.

She never walks past the tree in the lane after that day,
She sits in its shadows or leans against its trunk both feeling happy and gay.


 SOUVIK GHOSH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE TELEGRAPH NATIONAL DEBATE

The greatest game ever Played

Idle musings...composed quite some time back